Keeping your kitchen fresh and clean at all times will help ensure mould has little chance of settling in your home. This unattractive fungus thrives in warm and moist conditions and is hazardous to health. By removing, or killing, the mould and eliminating the development of moisture you will be able to prevent further spreading.
Where Mould Thrives
Older homes are more prone to mould because there are more high moisture areas with inadequate ventilation. Humidity in basements, bathrooms and kitchens attracts and encourages the spread of mould. Prevention of mould requires regular moisture checks, which may seem unnecessary until mould is discovered and has to be removed. Once detected swiftly removing mould will ensure further prevention measures can be put in place successfully.
Kitchen mould is most likely to attach itself to damp, wet corners and surfaces that are often difficult to reach. The tops of kitchen cupboards, storage areas with poor ventilation and areas that come into contact with moisture are all potential mould danger spots, so it is important to check these regularly. Ensuring you maintain a kitchen health check will enable this environment to remain clean and fresh at all times.
How to Get Rid of Mould
Small areas of kitchen mould can be easily removed, although it is recommended that you seek professional advice for any sizeable jobs. This removal of mould is hazardous to your health so it is important to wear rubber gloves and protective eyewear. Wearing a mask over your nose and mouth will also prevent mould spores getting into your lungs. Ventilating the kitchen is also essential.
In order to eliminate the mould you will need to mix 1 part of water with 1 part of bleach, preferably in a spray bottle as this allows you apply the solution more effectively in difficult areas. As you apply the solution you will notice that the mould begins to change colour. This means you are killing the mould. Some areas of the kitchen may require additional sprays if mould has spread further or become resistant. Once you have sprayed the surface all residue should be promptly cleaned up with paper towels. It is important to ensure the paper towels are carefully thrown in the bin immediately.
Once you have successfully removed kitchen mould, from cupboards, walls or other hazardous areas, it is important to ensure proper preventative measures are set in place. You do not want to have to clean up mould infested surfaces on a regular basis. Ensuring that your kitchen is properly ventilated at all times will help reduce the possibility of moisture build-up and will therefore keep mould at bay.
If you do not have an exhaust fan above your cooker the steam you generate whilst cooking will create moisture on kitchen walls and surfaces. Opening a window, even during winter, will help reduce moisture. Wiping down any surface moisture as soon as possible is also important. Maintaining good circulation of air, in your kitchen, will also help minimise the chances of mould developing.